Identify the risks and benefits of engaging with a public audience in a media space – What are the risks for a public figure or person in a position of trust (educator, lawyer, government official)?

For public figures or people in positions of trust, any posting they make on social media is highly influential. Firstly, social media helps public figures to shape and spread their identity by posting information, for example, through photos and videos. Moreover, since most public figures have many followers, many of their statements can easily lead the public and become the focus of public opinion and attention, and even have an impact on politics. As social media has matured, many companies and government agencies have become aware of the need to connect with the public through social media in order to achieve greater publicity.

However, precisely because of the enormous influence of public figures on social media, the content they post can inadvertently have a negative impact on their reputation and may cause bias in public opinion or even lead to cyber violence. To avoid unnecessary risks, public figures should vet the content they post to ensure that the information is not misinterpreted or maliciously interpreted.

How to address negative replies and critiques that reflect your personal values and your employer’s social media policy?

When I encounter negative responses and comments, I may be emotionally affected at first, but I think it is important to quickly calm down and make an analysis of the problems that have arisen. First I will reflect on what I have posted and determine if there are inappropriate statements or opinions. And, by reading and understanding the negative comments will also allow me to see things from a different perspective. If they simply disagree with my point of view, then I think that is perfectly normal and acceptable. Everyone should have their own ideas and we should accept different voices and criticism so that new ideas and connections can be made in the interaction.